Friday, August 12, 2011

tree climber!

We have a great climbing tree in our front yard - the branches start very low to the ground and there are several that go out in different directions that make lots of paths to take when climbing.  Both boys have had interest in getting in this tree, but I just wasn't sure if they were ready to climb it.  This spring I made the rule that if they wanted to play in it they had to be big enough to get up themselves - I figured good motivation for them to work hard to do it on their own (and good for me so I don't have to lift them up into it over and over again)!  Isaiah carried a big rock over to the trunk in the spring to act as a step to help him get up, but he still just couldn't quite do it.  As the months have gone by he has practiced many times - it's good entertainment for him while I'm in front mowing the yard or picking weeds - and he finally did it!  He's done it many times since then - I'm so proud of him and he's pretty proud of himself!  
This does leave Levi in a unfortunate situation as he stands at the bottom of the tree really, really wanting to get in, but just not able to do it quite yet.  I have stuck to my word and have made him try on his own (but once or twice I've given him a little boost).  I have confidence that by next year at this time we will have two full tree climbers!  Little boys are so much fun! :)

No comments: