Thursday, January 15, 2009

105 scare

Isaiah has been the healthiest little boy. Before this winter I think I could count the number of times he has been sick (cold, flu, etc) on one hand. It seems that this winter has been hard on him! He's had a running nose/stuffy nose and a cough several times...he's thrown up several times and now he has his first ear infections ever!

This past weekend it started with diapers that were sooooo yucky...you basically had to hold your nose and hurry...it turned into taking off the diaper and put him in the bath/shower to get him clean..ew, I know...but Sunday he seemed better and those icky messes stopped coming...so he went to Laura's like normal on Monday (ALL day long because Mark left for the Special Olypmics--to help, not participate ha ha :) --THANK YOU Laura!) She had a long day with him and knew he didn't feel good. On Monday night when we got home I took his temperature to find it was 102.7 degrees! poor little boy. I gave him some medicine and we laid low for just a little while and I knew Isaiah was ready for bed. Tuesday I was home and he still didn't seem like himself, but he was playing with Jayda and it seemed like just a bad cold...and his fever was just a little over 100. Wednesday came and his eyes were droopy and he looked miserable so I decided enough was enough and we went to urgent care. The doctor said both of his ears were very infected...so he started on his amoxicillian... We continued to take it easy and let Isaiah dose in and out on the couch upstairs...after awhile, we both looked at Isaiah and saw just how RED his cheeks were...so we decided to take his temperature again... Mark took it and looks up at me and says, "it's 105 degrees!" I said, "WHAT?!" and looked at the thermomiter. We both started to panic...I said, "call the doctor!!!!" so we did. (Thankfully we have a doctor who has a pager that he allows his patients to call any time to answer any questions and he always returns the page within a few minutes...) While waiting for the doctor's call, we called my mom to see what she thought...The doctor told us to give him a dose of Ibuprofin and get him in a lukewarm bath...and if the fever wasn't down to 104 or less in 30 minutes to head to the ER....Still panicing we got Isaiah down to the bath (screaming because we woke him and he's hot and sick), he hated every second of the bath, but we got him to stay in about 7 or 8 minutes. We then took him back upstairs (because that's what he kept asking to do -- "go upstairs and watch mommy and daddy's show" is what he was saying.) and then we took his temperature again--103.8--whew! but is that down enough to stay home??? So we called the doctor back. He said to keep watching it and to continue to keep him comfortable. By the time we got off the phone with the doctor it had gone down to 103...and before long it was down in the 102s... and then we saw a comercial for pancakes...Isaiah popped his head up and says, "I want some pancakes mama." Mark and I looked at each other...and I said, "okay, I'll go make you some pancakes." Isaiah decided he wanted to come with, so Isaiah and I made pancakes at like 9:45pm... and he was happy as can be...and by the time we were done eating pancakes his fever was down to 99.3... Just to be safe, Mark decided to have a little slumberparty with Isaiah and sleep upstairs together on the pullout futon. He got up with him a couple times in the night to give him more medicine (and to watch him talk in his sleep!:)) and we survived the night...

oh my goodness, I think that was the scariest experience in my parenting life...but we made it through---and I have to say, Mark and I made a pretty good team!
Isaiah helping make the pankcakes. Look at his red little cheeks.

Pancakes are done-Mickey Mouse! Look at how sick he looks :(

Slumber party with daddy.

1 comment:

In Light of the Truth... said...

ohh, poor little boy! Glad he's doing okay!