Friday, July 10, 2009

On a mission : Day 7 : Stay DRY!

A long time ago, I set a goal for Isaiah -- to be potty trained by the time he turned three. Isaiah's third birthday is creeping up on us way too quickly!

For many, many months now, anyone who knows Isaiah, knows he is ready to be potty trained. He is fully aware of the potty, he is not scared of it, in fact, likes to go on it...but he just hasn't been ready to give up the control (I think) of being potty trained. He has gone on the potty countless times (and gotten countless pieces of candy which we called a "special treat" for going) and many different places - our house, grandma and grandpa's house, McDonald's, the park, he really was doing good at going regularly on the potty until one day he said to me, "I don't want to go on the potty." And that was that, and he really didn't want to try or have anything to do with the potty.

We continued to remind him just about every time we changed his diaper that "big boys go on the potty" or "we wouldn't have to change your diaper if you went on the potty" because he absolutely hates getting a poopy diaper changed.

He really just didn't care about any of the potty talk until Saturday morning (July 4 - yes right after the swim diaper incident). As I was changing him out of his wet jammies and getting him ready for the day he said, "I don't want to wear a diaper." I thought - okay - we've done the undies thing before, and almost every time he peed in it within an hour or so, but we really didn't have big plans for the day so why not give it a go since he wants to...

7 days later ....

he's stayed DRY all day every day with just TWO accidents...can you believe it, I can't!!!

He's continued to wear a diaper for naps and bed - he is anxious to take them off when he wakes up and each of the 7 days except one he's been dry when he woke up from his nap! The one time he wasn't, he was poopy. A few mornings he has been dry, but mostly he's been a little wet (oh well - we'll get there!).

We've been very consistent about asking him if he has to go potty every half hour or so and usually he'll say no. But every time there is a change of activity (it's time for lunch, nap, to go outside, to go somewhere, etc) we have to go potty first. Just about every time he gets on the potty he goes.

I am so proud of him, and he knows it. He is so proud of himself and I'm so happy for him. I've caught him saying to himself, "my mommy is proud of me, my grandma is proud of me." I'm not sure he knows what proud means, but I know he knows it is really great.

A few days ago, our family went to the store to let Isaiah pick out some brand new underwear because he is doing so good at staying dry. I'm sure you can guess which ones he picked -- spiderman. (I still don't get his obsession with him) He almost went for the Diego ones, but then had to have spiderman.

Anyway - we make it a point to remind Isaiah each morning of his mission - To Stay Dry. and boy he is doing it!! What a big boy.

I guess everyone is right - it will just happen one day when he is ready - no need to push it!

2 comments:

Michele said...

Isaiah...I am very proud of you and love you very much...Grandma Michele

Life of the Lorenzens said...

Congratulations! I'm still waiting for Emily to decide she's a "big girl" and go on the potty. We've tried several big pushes and she's totally ready and knows what to do, but she's strong-willed and I can't change her mind. So we wait...:o)