Tuesday, October 26, 2010

the first dentist appointment

So I'd been putting off and putting off Isaiah's first trip to the dentist, and then Levi got old enough that he could go and I kept putting off and putting off BOTH of their first trips to the dentist.  I really had no concerns about their teeth, we brush them and I look in their mouths regularly to make sure things look okay (like I have any idea what I'm looking for, haha) and they never complain that their teeth hurt.  I've talked with friends who have sent their kids to the dentist and it ranges from just counting their teeth to a real simple cleaning.  So I just never made it a priority.  Well, Mark and I have our regular 6 month check up appointments next week and I had to call to switch the time on Mark's appointment - totally wasn't thinking about preschool when I scheduled it 6 months ago :) and so I figured it was time to just schedule them.  When I called, the receptionist said, "we had a cancellation today at 3:15, can you bring the boys in then?" and I figured why not.   It was actually good timing as both Mark and I were off work and able to go!  

Isaiah (and Caiden) thought the waiting room was fun.  They hopped up in the chairs and started reading magazines right away.  Levi wouldn't sit still long enough to even attempt a picture, he was so excited.
Isaiah had said several times that Levi could go first at the dentist.  This is SO unusual.  He always, always ALWAYS wants to go first (even for bedtime stories).  But what do you know, they called Isaiah's name first.  He was soooooooooooo nervous/scared.  Just look at his face!
 But the hygienist was very friendly and explained everything she was doing to Isaiah, even why she had to wear her mask.  Then she showed Isaiah what the saliva ejector (yeah, I had to google what it was called) and how it worked using a little cup.  He was very interested.
 Then it was time to start cleaning his teeth. He did an excellent job.  Did everything she asked of him and tried really hard to keep his mouth wide open.
While she was doing this, they came and got Levi for his turn. He REFUSED to sit in the chair, so he got to sit on my lap.
 They decided the dentist would simply look in his mouth and count his teeth.  He REFUSED to let her look, so we had to lay him across both the dentist and my lap while he scream/cried.  This only took a minute.  His teeth looked great!  He has all of his teeth except his 2 year molars have not come in yet.  Best part is we don't have to bring him back for a whole year!!
 Then the dentist made her way in to see Isaiah.  He was excited to see her and talk to her. (I'm not sure why, they'd never met:)
 Then she looked in his mouth and said his teeth were PERFECT -- lined up exactly right with just the right amount of spacing.  She said they don't get any better than that!   HOORAY!  He also has all of his teeth and should expect him to get his 6 year molars in a few years.
So we did it, we survived our first trip to the dentist.  Now I have to go back next week, yuck.

No comments: