Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sleep Success...

So, somehow Levi is already 11 weeks old (where does the time go?). From the start he has been a baby who loves to snuggle at night. Even in the hospital the nurse had to remind me to put him back in their crib things (she thought I was too tired at 3am to be holding the baby and watching him sleep while I doozed off :) ).

Because I like to sleep...and so does Mark...and getting up every half hour just isn't our cup of tea...we've fallen into the just let him sleep with us way of life. I said from the beginning that I didn't want him in our room or to sleep with us...but because our house is set up that we have 2 bedrooms on the main level and two bedrooms upstairs...we don't really have a good way to organize our bedrooms so Levi's cradle has been in our room.

Things started out where we were just so happy to have him in our lives that we held him until we went to bed and then I'd nurse him to sleep and fall asleep doing so and all of a sudden it was 2 or 3am and time for him to eat again...and I'd fall asleep again... and the next thing I knew it was morning and time to be up.

Now that he's older, I know he can sleep a little longer, and we are ready for our bed back. So I've been trying different things--I bought a snuggle thing that is supposed to make him feel like he's being held--it worked for 2 1/2 hours a couple nights ago! We were pleased with that, but wanted more. I tried holding a blanket for several hours and then wrapping him up in that so he'd smell me all night long--no luck with that. I've tried to swaddle him, but he likes his arms out and he's getting a little long (and strong) so he kicks out of it.

So, last night I decided to try his car seat. Not something that I want him to sleep in all of the time...but I wanted him to sleep by himself...and it was my last idea. and guess what...I put his carseat right by my side of the bed, I talked to him for a couple minutes, turned out the light, and he fell asleep in about a half hour...and slept from 11pm-5am--that's right SIX HOURS!! I'm sure it helped that he was in the smaller space and he had his warm bundle me around him...I just hope it helps get him used to sleeping alone so that he can one day make it all night in the cradle!!

1 comment:

In Light of the Truth... said...

that's amazing that it worked! hopefully it's the start of something wonderful... SLEEP!